Steelers' 2022 schedule features five primetime games
(Photo by Mark Albert/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
Two hours before the full 2022 NFL schedule was released, the Steelers announced that they'll face the Patriots in their home opener in Week 2 on Sept. 18.
When the full schedule was released at 8 p.m., it was revealed that the Steelers will have five primetime games this year -- Week 3 @ Browns (TNF), Week 7 @ Dolphins (SNF), Week 11 Bengals (SNF) , Week 12 @ Colts (MNF), Week 16 Raiders (NFL Network).
The Steelers will face the Bengals in Week 1 on the road. The Steelers are 67-38 all-time against the Bengals, and this will be the first time the two teams will meet to open the season. The Bengals swept the Steelers last year.
The Steelers haven't had a home game in Week 1 since 2014, which is by far the longest streak in the NFL. The Pirates have a 1:35 p.m. game against the Cardinals on Sept. 11, and the issues centering around why the Steelers haven't had a Week 1 home opener since 2014 has to do with the fact that Heinz Field shares parking with PNC Park.
Five of the Steelers' first eight games of the season are on the road. Five of their last nine games are at home. The Steelers bye week is in Week 9.
According to CBS Sports, the Steelers are tied with the Panthers for the 12th hardest schedule in the league in 2022. They play six playoff teams from last year -- Bengals (twice), Bills, Buccaneers, Raiders, Patriots and Eagles.
The Steelers also won't have to travel outside the Eastern Time Zone all season. They'll travel just 6,442 miles, which is the fewest in the league. The furthest west they'll go is Indianapolis and the furthest trip in total will be to Miami.
News & Notes from the Steelers' 2022 schedule.
- The NFL schedule makers got it right with having the Steelers-Raiders game on Dec. 24 in primetime. The 50th anniversary of the Immaculate Reception is on Dec. 23.
- The Steelers have no 4 p.m. games scheduled this year.
- Tom Brady and the Buccaneers play the Steelers in Week 6. It could be Brady's last time playing at Heinz Field. Brady is 6-3 in his career when playing in Pittsburgh.
- I wonder if Kenny Pickett will start in Week 8 against the Eagles on the road. He grew up as an Eagles fan in New Jersey.
- Brian Flores and Minkah Fitzpatrick return to Miami for the first time in Week 7. It's on SNF, too.
- When the Steelers play the Browns on TNF in Week 3, Cleveland could be without Deshaun Watson if he's suspended by the NFL for violation of the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy. Watson has 22 civil lawsuits against him for sexual misconduct.
- In their three preseason games, the Steelers will play the Seahawks, Jaguars on the road and Lions. Playing the Seahawks in the preseason is really random, especially since it's a West Coast team. It's also the first time since 2003 that the Steelers won't face the Panthers in the preseason finale (there was no preseason games in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic).