Updated: Jul 20, 2021
(Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)
Veteran outside linebacker Melvin Ingram visited with the Steelers today and he left the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex with a contract. According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Melvin Ingram agreed to terms with the Steelers on a one-year deal.
Rapoport also notes that Ingram had interest from the Chiefs and Dolphins but was being patient and waiting, and the Steelers were ultimately the right fit.
Reporter Josina Anderson spoke with Ingram after he signed with the Steelers and he said that he feels like Pittsburgh is the perfect designation for him.
"I just did the deal not too long ago and just got to the airport. It’s definitely a dope organization and environment; so I definitely feel like it's the place for me," Ingram said.
Ingram also told Anderson that he had talked with Mike Tomlin on the phone.
"I met with coach (Mike) Tomlin. You can tell he's very involved and a players' coach," Ingram said. "That's what stood out to me. He wants to win and that is what I am on. My role is my role. He just told me to come in and be me. Everyone knows how I play."
Tomlin said during minicamp that "there's not a lot of depth at outside linebacker" and that it's a "position to keep an eye on." Defensive coordinator and outside linebackers coach Keith Butler also flat-out said at minicamp that the Steelers are looking for a No. 3 outside linebacker.
Well, the Steelers got their guy, and he comes with a pretty good pedigree. Ingram, 32, is a three-time Pro Bowler and has recorded 49 sacks in his nine seasons with the Chargers. However, he did deal with a knee injury last year and was limited to just seven games, and he didn’t record a sack and had just 10 tackles.
Regardless, he's still a big-time upgrade as the No. 3 outside linebacker over journeyman Cassius Marsh and rookie Quincy Roche, who was a sixth-round pick.